jueves, 6 de septiembre de 2012

16: O'Malley y Warner visitan a los delegados de Iowa en Charlotte


(Foto: Peter Hamby)

Des Moines Register:
He only spoke for seven minutes, but Maryland Gov. Martin O’Malley stuck around for a long time afterward, taking photos with Iowans and patiently answering reporters’ questions.

It was get-to-know-you day for Democratic delegates from first-in-the-nation Iowa and politicians feeling out a possible White House bid in 2016.

Reporters went straight to the big question: Thinking about a run for president?

“I’m thinking about re-electing Barack Obama,” O’Malley told a scrum of reporters from the Washington Post, Los Angeles Times, Business Insider, CNN, Virginia Pilot, Charlotte Observer, Politico, National Journal, BBC and others. “And that’s all I’m focused on.”

But O’Malley waxed on about his fondness for the Hawkeye State.

“I like Iowa. I know Iowa. I’ve spent some time in Iowa. Good people in Iowa,” he said. “It’s a great state.”


(Foto: Peter Hamby)

Des Moines Register:

U.S. Sen. Mark Warner of Virginia, who described to the Iowa delegation this morning his successful business background in the cellphone industry.

Warner said he wants to look at the country’s problems from a businessman’s perspective.

“I’ll match my business credentials with anyone on the Republican side,” he told about 80 Iowa Democratic activists at the morning breakfast meeting at a banquet tent outside their hotel.

(...) After his 20-minute speech, the Des Moines Register asked him how he ended up at this breakfast – did the Iowa Democrats reach out to you or did you invite yourself?
“My understanding is they invited all of us,” he answered. “That’s what I understand.”

What are your plans for 2016?

“I’ve got no plans,” he said, as reporters from the Washington Post, Los Angeles Times, Business Insider, CNN, the Virginia Pilot, Charlotte Observer, Politico, National Journal, the BBC and others pressed in around him with tape recorders

Would you be interested in running?

“I’ve got no plans.”

Nothing at all?

“I have no plans.”

After saying hello to the Iowa reporters and mentioning that he recognized the Register’s political columnist, Kathie Obradovich, he said: “I have no plans. If we don’t get not only this, not only a plan for going forward, but yu’ve heard other pitches from me, if we don’t deal with this debt and deficit issue in the coming year, it’s going to be a very different country in 2016.”

No hay comentarios: